Monday, September 04, 2006

Well, for once I had a great weekend. The rains of the last week and then Ernesto stopped Saturday and the sun came out. Sunday we took a day trip out to the North Fork of LI to do some wine tasting and early Christmas shopping, and then had fish and chips (the best I've ever had!!) for a late lunch at the Lobster Roll. Today was finally a beach day, after 12 days of rain, so that put me in a super good mood, too. Ernesto really flattened the beach - it's like it was 15-20 years ago and I love it! Instead of slipping off a ledge into 4 ft of cold water while contending with onshore breakers. much of the sand has been dragged out to create a lovely shallows and tidepools you can get used to the water a bit at a time and avoid the shock of sudden total submersion. What a day. The morning was a 10+ as you can see from the pics, but then the winds picked up and we had to barricade ourselves against it with umbrellas and wind blocks, and then chunks of clouds came in and it would get really cool and then really hot and then really cool and, well, it went on most of the afternoon until we left at 5pm. Still, it was a great way to end my vacation. (ugh, work, that curse word, tomorrow, 5am, ugh! retirement cannot come soon enough!!!!)






8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ciao, Paula! (are you back home yet, or still in the states?) and it's so good to see you stopping by!!! I miss the frequency of our napo exhanges muchly.

thanks - that morning was just amazing, superb really, the way the water was mirror coating the sand so it reflected the sky. God bless digital cameras! I was able to crop and saturate the pics just a bit to bring out the reflections and make them perfect. I'm thinking I'll probably print 4x6's or maybe 8x10's (depends on where I put them) of three of them and make a horizontal triptych frame to hang on one of my walls.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh, do I hear you! I do! I do! I do!, as the Cowardly Lion said. I just got off vacation myself on 9/5 and I was a real beastly bitch at work that first day back - God, how I hated to go back. *sigh* too bad I got bills to pay.

10:03 PM  
Blogger WS Poetry said...

Lovely photos, Cookie! It really is super-hard to come back to work, isn't it? Sigh.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks, and yes it is! I know you know me - but, what's your name over at PFFA? couldn't find it in your blog either.

7:35 PM  
Blogger WS Poetry said...

Student. Heh.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

aha! now I know you! heh. so like, welcome, glad to see you here!

6:58 PM  
Blogger WoodChuck said...

Great pics...couldn't paint them any better. I'm hoping to get to the coast sometime this month. I've heard Sept & Oct are the best times to go.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heya, Chuck! really good to see you back here again! I've decided to blow up the pic with the water tower in it, 9x12 if it's not too pixel-ly. I think that might be one of my best shots yet. sky reflections are such amazing things!

sept & oct are nice here, the beach crowds are gone and the weather is still mild in sept to sit out if you have a wind block. oct gets a bit chilly at the beach here on LI but you do get days here and there to catch the last gasp of summer. most everyone heads out to the North Fork (wine country) to pick pumpkins, taste wine and buy fresh veggies from roadside stands - I love it out there this time of year. If you do get out there, make sure you stop to eat at a place called Lobster Roll (see my blog entry). The leaves don't usually change until late Oct/early Nov, so you may miss that unless you head Upstate. check the foliage maps at weather.com. I've heard Cape May in NJ is really nice sept/oct. too, if you're thinking of heading south-er.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home