Sunday, February 12, 2006

Well, just when you think it's as bad as it can get it always gets worse. The pops ended up in the hospital Friday - seems the freakin nursing home screwed up on his diabetes meds and let him get severely dehydrated - enough so that his sugar level dropped to 23 grams which sent him into diabetic shock. *SIGH* I tell you, it just never ends. But I'm ok, surprisingly. And he's ok as far as I know. Now, that is. He almost died. If he'd of gone into a diabetic coma, that probably would've been it for him and my brother and I would be financing a second funeral right now. It was touch and go for awhile and they had to insert a catheter (ick) and his urine was first brown then red (double ick) but it's normal now and he's back to hallucinating and yelling about the people on the wall watching him, so things are getting back to normal. heh. He's giving the nurses a good old time, screaming for hours on end, speaking gibberish and being generally a pain in the ass. I guess he's feeling better.

Anywho, he's not going back to that place. We don't know when he'll be released, but when he is he's going to a new nursing home that's only about 15 minutes from home. This way we can keep a closer eye on him. Shit, he was fine last Sunday when I went to visit him and five days later he's in the hospital. I got the call around 1pm Friday from the social director, and she tells me he's having "stroke like" symptoms, that he's weak and disoriented and not responding to pain. So I ask her if they've checked his sugar level lately and she says to me, "Oh, that's a good idea. I'll have to tell them that."

Can you imagine that?! What idiots! aarrrrghghgh! I want to kill someone over there! Well, I got a call later on from the big manager wanting to talk to me but screw her. She can talk to my lawyer. And then she can talk to the folks over at JHACO and then she can talk to the Dept of Mental Health. Tomorrow I'll be on the phone all day calling the senior citizen advocate and whoever else I have to to get an investigation started. No way are they going to get away with this. Someone has to make these people get their act together. Not just for my stepfather's sake, but also for the sake of all those other people that they supposedly care for. Yeah, I'm angry all right.

Oh yeah. And my brother had to call medicaid the other day to find something out and he tells me the stepfather's case STILL hasn't been approved and that it's still pending. SO, after all this shit, we still don't know who's going to have to pay for what. Idiots all. I swear, when I find an elder lawyer, they're all going to get it good. Idiots! Bahhhhhh!

Well, that's it. I'm done ranting...for now. And remember to go and talk to your mom, damn it. Grrrrrrrrghhhh!

4 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

Hi cookie,

I had been busy and only just managed to catch up on some reading.

It's a shame what happened to your dad at the nursing home. I can imagine how you must have felt.

Take care. I hope things are getting better already.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Autumn! It's really good to hear from you - I've been really busy myself (as you can see!) and meaning to email you but every time I try to do it something else comes up. I hope all is well with you. Pops is supposed to be released maybe Weds or Thurs, if all goes well. I'm trying to get him transferred to a different home - no way is he going back to where he was! His kidneys were definitely shutting down, but the doc can't say why. But he is getting better and his kidneys are ok now. He's just covering the nursing home's ass. These doctors work hand in hand with the homes. Makes it very hard to prove anything, but I'm still going to start an investigation. I want them to answer for this. WIll try to email soon, til then be well and take care.
bests,
Cookie

3:35 PM  
Blogger WoodChuck said...

Sorry to hear all that happened. It really does seem like when it rains...it rains some more.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Chuck. Yeah, in my case it sure seems like it's torrential. Since I wrote this last entry, we've gotten pops out of the hospital and into a much better nursing home that's only 15 min from home, but just today he's gone back into the hospital again with a sugar level at 500+, high fever and sore throat. *sigh* It seems it's always something these days.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home