Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Been having issues with my home pc since mid-April in the form of dns name resolution problems with my carrier - so I've been unable to comment or login to my blog to add new posts - right now I'm at work and making an entry from my work pc - which is really a no-no but it's my lunch 1/2 hour so I figure I can get away with it. I lurk from home, but that's about all I can do with all my blogs on blogger. Also having the same problem with google and an ATC card site I trade at ATCards. This really is a royal pain in the ass. I've already contacted my web provider twice about it. *sigh* So I don't know how long it's going to take to get this fixed.

On a much happier note, I have good news! One of the NaPo poems I wrote during April placed second in a poetry contest at Artella.com - woohoo! It's going to be published in their magazine. I owe some thanks to Gabriel, who kindly offered me some suggestions for a revision, which I really liked and took advantage of - so thank you very much, Gabriel! As soon as I can, I'll be posting all 30+ poems I wrote, but it may take awhile due to my access problem. So, here's the revised, winning poem.

Abandoned

The rusted pump sits idle in its watch
over the splintered trough it once filled
for man and beast. Nothing comes now
to suckle or ladle or bathe, but the wind
coats it with a fine patina of Kansas clay
and rabbits graze beneath, in its shade.

Behind it a dilapidated barn leans out
to the left exposing its silvered roof, half gone,
and a honeycomb, still inhabited, disgorges slow,
thrumming bodies from its mouth
like large flecks of soot from a fire.

Beyond the brambles and tumbleweed
a house hunkers over the landscape. Massive,
it looms above a dilapidated shade porch
with a gap-toothed rail, front door flung open
and half hanging off its hinges.

The windows black eyes have no reflection;
their shutters snap and startle on the boards.
On the porch a twig-backed rocking chair
rocks the resident ghost back and forth.


copyright 2007 by Cookala

5 Comments:

Blogger Scotty said...

Damn PCs - it's a love/hate relationship, isn't it?

Congrats on the poem, Cookie. :-)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks, Scotty!! and yes, but mostly a hateful one for me!

11:59 AM  
Blogger Heather O'Neill said...

Cookie-

Congratulations! I read this one over at PFFA tonight and loved it! So it's really neat to come over to your blog and read the good news!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Heather O'Neill said...

"it's" should be "was".

11:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heya, Heather! it's so good to see you here, and thanks so much. I'm glad you enjoyed this - it was popular during NaPo which is why I entered it in the contest. Winning is a good thing!

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home