Saturday, March 25, 2006

So, I'm going to gloat a little. heh. ATC_World - one of the groups I'm trading ATCs (artist trading cards) with - has just posted a card I made on their homepage as the card of the week. I am totally surprised and flattered and humbled. The card (which I've psoted below) was one of a set of 8 I made for a swap that mimics the look of stained glass. You can see the other cards in the set on my ATC blog - Cookalas House of Cards (there's a link on the right).

It was a new technique for me, but not all that hard. First, I drew the image on the card, then I squeezed a line of black glue over all the lines to mimic solder. When the glue dried, I colored in the image "panes" with markers. The results were amazing in that the cards really did look like stained glass. The hardest thing was squeezing a steady and uniform flow of glue from the bottle - too much and you got a blob, too little and you got nothing or a non-uniform thickness of line.

I've been getting back lots of wonderful ATCs from other artists, too. Each of them is like a miniature work of art. By studying them, I'm learning new techniques and ways of seeing. I think it was Harry who said I should post the cards I was getting back, and I'm thinking maybe I'll start a third blog for just that purpose.

And so with that I leave you. And remember, go call your mom.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Cheers, Harry. That's really quite good, Harry. I didn't know you were so artistic! I've always wanted to try sick painting, just never gotten around to it. I've seen some silk painting that's beyond amazing with exquisite colors and the way they flow adn mingle - something similar to the effect you get when you sprinkle salt on a wet watercolor. Silkscreen printing is another art form I've always wanted to try, too. Well, someday.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heh. got a typo on sick - should be silk!

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home